You’re a producer and want to expand into the specialty foods field. Have you considered the halal market? Check out the following stats-
- In 2012 the global halal market was valued at US$580 billion. The North American domestic halal market alone was estimated at approximated US$12 billion.
- Halal agri-food trade accounted for 5% of total world agri-food trade.
- In North America, halal foods are included under specialty foods categories which include foods produced in compliance with religious dietary laws, specialty diets, gourmet and artisan products.
- In 2010, the fresh halal meat market in North America was estimated between US$370-520 million.
- In 2014 US exports halal beef to various countries of the OIC, to the value of US$1billion. Brazil, the largest exporter of halal meats, exported US$4.1billion to the same market region in that year.
- According to the US Meat Exporters, due to customer preferences, halal meat products represent the fastest growing segments of US beef exports.
 The Specialty Food Market in North America, March 2012, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada